Step-by-Step: How to Properly Sign Your Title in Wisconsin

Step 1: Where To sign

On the car title for Wisconsin, there’s a specific section reserved for the seller to sign. On the back of the Wisconsin car title, look for the top part where it says “SIGNATURE OF SELLER(s)” – that’s where you sign. Don’t sign anywhere else.

Step 2: Sign the Title

Use your legal name as it appears on the title when signing. If the title has more than one owner and the names are separated by the word “and,” all owners listed must sign. If the word “or” separates the names, any of the owners listed may sign.

Step 3: Lien Release

If there’s a loan mentioned on the car’s title, make sure to give the buyer a Lien release document from the lender that says the loan is paid off. The buyer needs this and the title to get the car in their name.

Important Tips

If you didn’t take the plates off your vehicle, you can get and fill out a form called “License Plates Cancellation Application” (form MV2514 in English or MV2514 in Spanish).

No Erasures or Whiteouts: Wisconsin law may invalidate any title with erasures, whiteouts, or alterations. If a mistake is made, you may need to obtain a duplicate title.

Double-Check: Before handing the title over to the buyer, double-check all the information for accuracy and completeness. This includes your signature, the buyer’s information, and the odometer reading.

Duplicate Title 

If you need to request a replacement title from the Wisdot, simply follow these steps:

  1. Complete a Duplicate Title Form.
  2. Take the completed form to your local Wisdot office.
  3. Pay a fee of $20.00, and you should receive the title in the mail within approximately 3 weeks or they may be able to issue a title at time of request. 

Power of Attorney

In Wisconsin, a car owner can use a Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney to name someone else (called an “agent” or “attorney-in-fact”) to do car-related tasks for them. This agent has the authority to help sell the car. Including giving the car to the buyer and getting the payment when the car changes owners. They can also sign any documents from the DMV needed to title, license, and register the car in Wisconsin.

When a licensed car dealer buys a car that still has a loan on it, they must use a special form called a secure power of attorney to change the car’s ownership to their name and tell the new owner the car’s mileage. The local DMV office is where dealers must obtain these secure forms, as they cannot be downloaded.

By executing a Limited Power of Attorney (POA), you authorize us to amend any mistakes on the title without needing your direct endorsement again. This POA is strictly for actions related to the specified title, such as filling in a missing endorsement or making corrections requested by the Wisdot. Therefore, by signing this POA, you are not granting us any additional authority beyond these specified conditions.

Wisconsin Wisdot

Email: Wisconsin DMV email service

Phone: (608) 264-7447

Wisdot Website

Get a free instant offer on your car now Obtenga una oferta